|Back to Back Issues Page|
The Everyday Wisdom Newsletter January 2nd, 2012
January 02, 2012
Jan. 2nd, 2012
Events that happened in the month of January.1861 President Lincoln declares slavery in Confederate states unlawful.
1862 The first US income tax (3% of incomes over $600, 5% of incomes over $10,000.
1880 Building of Panama Canal begins.
1881 Dr. John H Watson is introduced to Sherlock Holmes.
1886 The first Tournament of Roses, Pasadena, CA.
1892 Ellis Island becomes reception center for new immigrants.
1902 The first Rose Bowl game Pasadena, CA - University of Michigan-49, Stanford-0
1908 The first time a ball signifying a new year dropped at Times Square.
1913 Post office begins parcel post deliveries.
1914 The first scheduled airline flight, St Petersburg-Tampa …Tony Jannus pilot
1918 The first US air-conditioned office building opens, San Antonio
1934 Alcatraz officially becomes a federal prison
1941 Formal opening of CBC News Service in Canada
1950 Ho Chi Minh begins offensive against French troops in Indo-China.
1956 Elvis Presley records Heartbreak Hotel.
1960 US census at 179,245,000
1962 Navy SEAL teams established
1966 All US cigarette packs have to carry "Caution: Cigarette smoking may be hazardous to your health".
1985 US's first mandatory seat belt law goes into effect.
1990 David Dinkins sworn in as first black mayor of New York City.
1995 Last "Far Side" by cartoonist Gary Larson (started 1980)
1998 US Census Bureau estimates population at 268,921,733
2009 Flight 1549 made an emergency landing in the Hudson River..
We know that we face some colder weather ahead as we enter into the new year. We wanted to provide you with articles that will help you through the cold weather.
Some humor to start the month off right.
Non-Deep Thoughts - I planted some birdseed. A bird came up. Now I don't know what to feed it.
- I had amnesia once -- or twice.
- I went to San Francisco. I found someone's heart. Now what?
- Protons have mass? I didn't even know they were Catholic.
- All I ask is a chance to prove that money can't make me happy.
- If the world were a logical place, men would ride horses sidesaddle.
- What is a "free" gift? Aren't all gifts free?
- They told me I was gullible ... and I believed them.
- Teach a child to be polite and courteous in the home and, when he grows up, he'll never be able to merge his car onto a freeway.
- Two can live as cheaply as one, for half as long.
- Is there another word for synonym?
For more great jokes visit our humor index page.
All contents Copyright (c)2005 www.everyday-wisdom.com except where indicated otherwise. All right reserved worldwide. **Duplication or reprints only with express permission or approved Credits (see above). All trademarks are the property of their respective owners.
|Back to Back Issues Page|