Not only are avocados very healthy and provide many nutrients and vitamins for you, they are wonderful to eat. Whether you just cut them in half and eat them right out of the peel or add them to salads or a sandwich, they add just the extra flavor to make everything taste better. Use them in soups, a main dish as a garnish, or make the all-time favorite… guacamole dip…for the next party. How ever you enjoy them, remember they are good for you.
We have gathered a few recipes to share with you, and we plan to add more recipes as we go along. If you have a recipe using avocados to share, there is a section at the bottom of this page where you can submit new and different recipes, and we will be happy to add them to the page.
• 12 fully ripened avocados, halved and peeled
• 6 tsps mashed garlic
• 6 Cups chopped peeled tomatoes
• 3 Cups ice water per tsp of mashed garlic to make an infusion
• 3 Cups finely minced onion
• 6 Tbsps freshly squeezed lime juice
• 3 tsps salt
• 1 ½ Cups chopped cilantro leaves
1. Peel Avocados and mash them with a fork in a large platter.
2. Add strained garlic infusion and remainder of ingredients and mix with a fork.
3. Serve immediately with corn chips, potato chips, tortilla chips or slices of cucumber, zucchini or yellow neck squash.
Shrimp Ring with Avocado Shrimp Ring with Avocado
• 1 Tbsp gelatin
• ½ Pint chicken stock
• ½ Juice of half a lemon
• ½ oz mayonnaise
• ¼ Pint double cream
• 3 ripe Fresh avocados
• Salt and freshly ground black pepper
• 8 – 10 oz peeled shrimp
• (Small cubes of cooked fish or chicken may be substituted for the shrimp)
1. Put the gelatin in a bowl with 4 tbsp of cold water and set aside for a few minutes until it becomes spongy
2. Heat the chicken stock in a pan, add the gelatin and stir until dissolved.
3. Do not allow it to boil over or the gelatin will become stringy.
4. Peel, half and stone the avocado, setting aside one of the halves for garnish.
5. Mash the avocados with the lemon juice and then mix in half the mayonnaise, cream, and salt and pepper to taste.
6. Stir in the gelatin mixture and pour into a 3 pint ring mould. Chill until set.
7. Mix the shrimp with the rest of the mayonnaise. Turn out the avocado ring and fill the centre with shrimp.
8. Garnish with the reserved avocado, cut into slices or cubes
• ½ Cup Thick, chunky tomato salsa
• ½ Cup Seafood cocktail sauce
• ½ Cup Diced onion
• ½ Cup Diced cucumber (English)
• ½ Cup Chopped cilantro
• ¼ Cup Lime juice
• 3 Pounds Avocados, cut into chunks
• Lime slices - for garnish
• Cilantro sprigs - for garnish
• 84 oz Cooked large shrimp with tails (21-25 count)
1. JUST BEFORE SERVICE
2. Thoroughly combine salsa and next 5 ingredients. Fold in avocado; chill 1 hour to marry flavors.
3. PER ORDER
4. Fill a stemmed glass with 1/3 cup avocado mixture. Hang 5 shrimp around rim. Garnish with a twisted lime slice and a cilantro sprig.
Avocado Mango Salsa in Lettuce Wraps With Blackened Shrimp
• 20 Butter lettuce leaves, large or medum
• Blackened Shrimp, chilled - Recipe below in instructions
• Avocado Mango Salsa - Recipe below in instructions
• Remoulade Sauce - Recipe below in instructions Instructions
2. Place one butter lettuce leaf on platter.
3. Place 2 Blackened Shrimp on left side of lettuce.
4. Place 1 tablespoon Avocado Mango Salsa on right side of shrimp.
5. Dab 1 teaspoon Remoulade Sauce on front center of lettuce, slightly overlapping shrimp and salsa.
6. Blackened Shrimp
7. Toss 40 (1-1/4 pounds) raw shrimp (31-35 count, peeled, deveined and tail off) together with 1-1/2 tablespoons canola oil, 3 teaspoons K Paul’s Blackened Steak Magic and 1 teaspoon paprika. Grill until just cooked. Spread in a single layer and chill immediately. Cover and refrigerate until service.
8. Avocado Mango Salsa
9. Mix together 1/2 ounce orange juice, 1/2 ounce lime juice, 2 tablespoons honey and 1/2 teaspoon Tabasco sauce. Add 1 (8 ounces) California Avocado cut into 1/2-inch dice, 5 ounces fresh mango cut into 1/2-inch dice, 3 tablespoons diced red onion and 2 tablespoons coarsely chopped cilantro. Cover and refrigerate until service. Yield: 1-1/4 Cups.
10. Remoulade Sauce
11. Wisk together 1-1/2 cups mayonnaise, 1/8 teaspoon ground dry mustard powder, 4 teaspoons Dijon mustard, 1 tablespoon whole grain mustard, 2 teaspoons cider vinegar, 1 tablespoon Tabasco sauce, 4 teaspoons finely chopped capers, 2 tablespoons freshly chopped parsley, 2 tablespoons minced red onion, 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper. Cover and refrigerate. When ready for service, place in squeeze bottle with hole cut to size. Yield: 2 Cups.
1. Peel avocados.
2. Melt 8 tablespoons of butter, then stir in flour, and add 4 cups of milk slowly, to make a soup.
3. Set aside to cool.
4. Mix mashed avocadoes with 1 1/2 ups lime juice in blender, adding 2 cups of milk, to make a mixture.
5. Add garlic powder.
6. Whisk the avocado mixture into the butter soup, now cool.
7. Blend in Sangria wine.
8. Chill and serve cold.
9. Garnish each bowl with sour cream, and thin slice of lime.
10. Sprinkle basil over each.
11. Serve Avocado soup with Nacho chips.
• Beef Tenderloin
• 1 (4-pound) trimmed beef tenderloin
• 1 ½ tsp salt
• ¾ tsp freshly ground pepper
• 3 Tbsp butter, softened
• 3 garlic cloves, minced
• ¼ Cup minced fresh parsley
• 1 Tbsp grated lemon rind Avocado Bernaise Sauce
• 4 large shallots, diced
• ¾ Cup dry white wine
• 3 Tbsp white wine vinegar
• 2 tsp dried tarragon
• 4 small ripe fresh Avocados, peeled and chopped
• ½ Cup mayonnaise
• 2 Tbsp lemon juice
• ½ tsp salt
• ½ tsp freshly ground pepper
1. Beef Tenderloin
2. Sprinkle tenderloin evenly with salt and pepper.
3. Stir together butter and next 3 ingredients
4. Rub mixture evenly over tenderloin.
5. Cover and chill 1 to 2 hours.
6. Place in an aluminum foil-lined 15- x 10-inch jellyroll pan.
7. Bake at 500° for 30 minutes or until a meat thermometer inserted into thickest portion registers 145° (medium-rare).
8. Remove from oven, and let stand 15 minutes.
9. Serve with Avocado Bernaise Sauce.
10. Grilled Portobello Mushrooms With Avocado Bernaise
11. Substitute 8 large portobello mushrooms, stems removed, for beef.
12. Follow above directions with butter mixture; omit chilling.
13. Grill, covered, over medium-high heat (350° to 400°) 5 to 6 minutes on each side.
14. Serve with Avocado Bearnaise Sauce.
15. Avocado Bernaise Sauce
16. Cook first 4 ingredients in a small saucepan over medium-high heat 8 to 10 minutes or until liquid is reduced to about 2 tablespoons.
18. Process avocado, next 4 ingredients, and reduced mixture in a food processor until smooth, stopping to scrape down sides.
19. Chill up to 2 days, if desired.
• 3 California Avocados, cut into 1/4-inch dice
• ½ Tbsp fresh lemon juice
• ¾ Cup chopped red onion
• ¾ Cup coarsely chopped roasted red bell pepper
• ¾ Cup lightly packed peeled, deveined shrimp
• ¾ Cup gouda cheese, shredded
• 1 ½ tsp shredded, fresh basil*
• 1 Pound 8 ounces pizza dough
• Olive oil, as needed
• Dried basil, as needed
2. Gently mix avocado with lemon juice; reserve.
3. Mix onion, roasted pepper, shrimp, and gouda.
4. Gently fold in reserved avocado; reserve, tightly covered.
5. Scale dough into 24 pieces, 3 ounces each; roll each into a circle about 7 inches in diameter.
6. Place 1/2 cup reserved avocado mixture on half of circle; lightly flatten, leaving 1-inch
7. Fold other half over. Tightly seal edges, then flute; arrange on a parchment-lined sheet pan. Repeat with remaining ingredients.
8. Bake at 400¢ªF until browned, about 18 minutes.
9. Lightly brush calzone with olive oil; lightly sprinkle with dried basil.
10. Cool; refrigerate tightly wrapped for storage.
11. PER ORDER
12. Heat 1 calzone until warmed through.
13. *1-1/2 tablespoons dried basil can be substituted
Everyone has their favorite recipe and we invite you to share yours with our readers. If you have more than one add it in a new comment box. If you have any special memories, tricks to make it easier or better or if its a family tradition add that below the directions for others to enjoy.